If you would like to skip reading the article and you would like to know which hunting clothes or jacket is best for hunting in the cold, then I would recommend the ScentLok Morphic jacket. This jacket will keep you warm and also help trap your body odor from reaching the deer.
I can still remember when an unplanned hunting trip turned into one of the worst cases of pneumonia. When you are young and stupid, you will make these types of mistakes. If you do not have the proper hunting clothes for those extra cold winter months, then you can just as well stay home where it is warm.
Most hunters will agree with me when I say that the majority of your time will be spent waiting for the deer to come to a waterhole or at a feeding location. The last thing you want is to sit and shiver the entire time.
Luckily you are smarter than most people and considered that beforehand. Today I am going to cover 5 of the best clothes for cold weather hunting. I am mainly going to focus on the jacket because they are the most important.
In a later section, I am going to teach you which pieces to wear for hunting if it is freezing outside. Below is a summary of the types of jackets which you can expect.
Best Hunting Clothes For Cold Weather
- ScentLok Morphic – Editors Choice
- Compass 360 Gale – Budget Friendly
- SITKA Hudson Jacket – Best For Waterfowl Hunting
- ArcticShield Classic Elite Parka
- Rivers West Ambush Jacket
Let’s get started with the first product, which makes use of ScentLok technology.
#1 ScentLok Morphic – Editors Choice
The ScentLok Morphic jacket is ideal for hunters that want to stay warm and prevent their scent from reaching the deer. This product is rich in features and has everything you need to have a pleasant hunting experience. Here are some of the excellent benefits:
- Editors Rating: 10/10
- Camo Patterns: Realtree Edge and Mossy Oak Country
- This jacket will keep you warm and dry during the hunt. The fabric is made from several layers where each layer has a purpose. The outer layer is hydrophobic, where it does not absorb moisture. There is also another layer which prevents water from passing through. The inner layer also helps in insulation to keep the wearer warm.
- It prevents the animals from detecting your scent. The fabric is concealed with different carbon materials to help absorb any odor which might come from your body. It makes use of zeolite and activated carbon to trap the odor. These carbon materials have a large surface area, which is ideal for trapping odor.
This jacket also has Mossy Oak and Realtree Edge camo patterns to choose from. These patterns area great for hunting in the woods and can blend into pine/mixed forests.
#2 Compass 360 Gale – Budget Friendly
The Compass 360 Gale jacket is an excellent option for hunters that do not want to spend a fortune on hunting clothes that will keep them warm. Most of the hunting clothes that you can find online are expensive except for this jacket. Just because this jacket is not expensive does not mean it is of low quality. Below are some of the factors that make up its quality:
- Editors Rating: 8/10
- Camo Patterns: Mossy Oak, Realtree Edge, Realtree Max5, and Realtree Xtra
- More adjustable for a better fit. This jacket makes use of velcro at the end of its sleeve. This feature enables you to adjust how tight the sleeve will sit on your wrist.
- You can also keep your head dry and warm. This jacket makes use of a hidden hood, which will keep your head dry and warm. When it starts to rain, you can pull the hood over your head.
- Makes use of 3 cozy pockets. There are 2 pockets on the side and one on the chest area. The zippers are also waterproof to keep the insides of the pockets dry.
- It is built to keep your body warm and dry. It makes use of HydroTek fabric, which consists of 3 layers. The layers will help keep the moisture out and keep you dry as a result. The layers also help with breathability and insulation.
This jacket also has many color schemes to choose from. These schemes include Mossy Oak, Realtree Edge, Realtree Max5, and Realtree Xtra. This variety of colors makes it possible to hunt in almost any area. This is a good jacket with everything necessary to keep you warm during the hunt.
#3 SITKA Hudson Jacket – Best For Waterfowl Hunting
The Hudson jacket from Sitka is the best option for those that love waterfowl hunting. Its camo patterns are ideal for marsh and flooded woodlands. It uses three distinct layers that offer flexibility, insulation, and waterproofing capabilities.
- Editors Rating: 9/10
- Camo Patterns: Waterfowl Timber and Marsh
- Works best for waterfowl hunting. The camo patterns available are waterfowl timber and marsh. These patterns are made in such a way where waterfowl will have a hard time spotting you.
- It is built to keep you warm. One of the layers used is what is called PrimaLoft® Technology, which offers some of the best insulation against the cold.
- Your head will also stay warm and dry. The jacket has an adjustable hood that will rotate along with your head movements without limiting your vision.
- You can retrieve ducks out of the water and still stay dry. The waterproof wrist cuffs will prevent the water from entering your sleeves.
- It has a variety of pockets. This jacket has a total of 6 pockets. You will get two chest pockets, two shell pockets, and also two magnetic pockets.
- This jacket is comfortable and also stretchable. One of the layers is GORE-TEX® with STRETCH technology, which gives the jacket better flexibility enabling freedom of movement.
This jacket works best for waterfowl hunting, where it uses two camo patterns (waterfowl marsh and timber).
#4 ArcticShield Classic Elite Parka
The ArcticShield Classic Elite Parka Jacket is ideal for those hunters that want a reliable jacket that will keep them warm during the hunt. This jacket does not have many bells and whistles when it comes to features. Sometimes having less is better. This jacket is also not that expensive compared to some of the other options.
- Editors Rating: 8/10
- Camo Pattern: Realtree EDGE
- It is built to keep you warm during cold weather. This jacket uses the ArcticShield Retain technology, which uses an aluminized polypropylene core layer, which helps to retain the heat inside of your body. It also protects you against cold winds and outside elements. The wrist cuffs will also contribute to preventing heat from escaping your sleeves.
- The hood will also keep your head dry and warm. It also comes with an adjustable hood that makes use of a drawcord to adjust its size and fit. The hood can also be removed from the jacket for if you do not want to use it.
- It comes with a variety of pockets. It comes with four pairs of pockets located on the outside and also two sets of pockets located on the inside.
This jacket makes use of Realtree EDGE as a camo pattern.
#5 Rivers West Ambush Jacket
- Editors Rating: 9/10
- Camo Pattern: Mossy Oak, Realtree Edge & Realtree Xtra.
Rivers West is a company that was established in 1989 and is very well known for its outdoor apparel. They specialize in fishing and hunting clothes, which include jackets, pants, bibs, and vests. Watch the video below for more info.
This jacket is designed to keep you dry. This company uses actual fleece to manufacture their jackets. When the fleece is knit correctly, it will offer waterproof capabilities. This fleece is also very stretchable, which makes it very easy to move in.
The cargo pockets also allow for a quieter hunting experience. It uses magnets with a low charge so that it does not interfere with your GPS or cellphone. You never need to worry about velcro straps that make a ton of noise.
The sling gripper shoulders also prevent your gun sling from sliding off your shoulder. This jacket is very hot, and sometimes you need to cool down without taking it off. You can open the zippers under each arm to allow some of the heat to escape.
There is also a detachable hood that will keep your head dry and warm.
How to dress for cold weather hunting?
The core focus of this article is going to be hunting jackets, but do not forget about the other necessary pieces that you need to wear. For hunting in cold weather, I like to start with a base layer set that covers the lower and upper body.
If you would like to learn more about which base layers to buy, you can check out this article on base layers.
On top of the base layers, I like to wear hunting pants and only a jacket. You should also not forget about hunting boots and wearing gloves. Wearing a beanie or balaclava can also be beneficial.
Do you need to wear base layers?
Base layers can make a massive difference if you do not want to wear a bulky and heavy hunting jacket to keep you warm. The best combination for where base layers come into play is when you have a lightweight hunting jacket that offers medium protection against the cold.
The extra layer of protection which the base layer contributes will make up for the limited insulation which your jacket might provide. My lower body will always have a base layer underneath my hunting pants. If you want to wear something that is very cozy then you read more about hunting clothes made from wool.
If you like to wear a thick and cozy hunting jacket, then only wearing a t-shirt underneath will suffice. If you want additional protection on your legs then you can rely on Upland hunting pants which will protect your legs against the thickest of brush.
The types of camo available
I came across 5 camo patterns when reviewing the hunting jackets. The patterns include the following:
- Realtree EDGE
- Realtree Max5
- Realtree Xtra
- Waterfowl Timber & Marsh
- Mossy Oak
I have already covered the topic of camo clothes and the science behind it if you want to take a look. You might already be familiar with hunting camo and where each type fits in.
If you have never bought any hunting camo, then I would recommend you to use this tool from Realtree to find the best type for your location. I know that some people are camo obsessed which was why I have covered camo vests for weddings.
The best jacket for waterfowl hunting
One of the jackets which will work perfectly for waterfowl hunting is the SITKA Hudson Jacket. This jacket works great because it has 2 patterns suitable for the locations of where waterfowl like to hang out.
The 2 patterns include Waterfowl Timber and Waterfowl Marsh. I have also created a review where I have covered the topic on duck hunting jackets.
Waterfowl Timber is best used in forested areas that are flooded with or near water. Waterfowl Marsh is great for marshes and near standing crops or crops that were cut.
Some cold-weather hunting jackets that uses ScentLock
It is very well known in the hunting community that deer will usually smell you before they can see you. The deer can smell you from a very long distance (especially if the wind is not in your favor) and will flee before you can spot them.
Cold weather does not influence the deer’s ability to sense your smell. If you are like me and you would like to take every necessary precaution. The ScentLok Morphic jacket uses ScentLok technology, which absorbs the odor which comes from your skin’s surface. The HECS Hunting suit is also very good at reducing odor and it also helps to block your body’s electrical radiation.
And the runner up is…
Our favorite jacket for cold weather hunting was the ScentLok Morphic, which not only keeps you warm but also prevents deer from picking up your scent. It can be imperative because deer can pick up your scent long before they can see you.
This jacket only gives you all you need and does not have many bells and whistles. It might be a tad more expensive than the average hunting jacket but might significantly increase your chance of success.