I think we all can agree that to get your gun permit in place can be a frustrating experience and the concealed carry classes will only form part of it.
Fortunately, I have provided you with a list of very important information that will give you the foundation on how to get things done. This will range from getting your certificate to having your permit. Whether owning or shooting guns is your hobby or for self-defense, you need to read this.
In this article, I will discuss all the reasons behind the laws, purpose and also the steps that you can take.
What is the concept of concealed carry?
If you look at the word concealed, it literary means “to hide” or “keep secret”. But when you add the word carry, you refer to the practice of carrying a weapon such as a handgun in public.
In most countries or states you need to have a concealed carry permit in order to carry a handgun in public. Some countries or state will even go so far as to say that it is illegal to carry a firearm in certain areas even if you have a permit.
Personally, I firmly believe that every person has the right to defend themselves and that guns on its own are not evil.
The problem is that if this weapon is in the wrong hands such as in a person that is either ignorant or has a criminal mindset, then it can lead to problems and even death.
This weapon makes it 100 times easier to take the life of another person in just the split of a second. This is why there are laws in order to avoid this from happening in the first place.
The purpose of concealed carry classes
- Understand firearm law. Every state or area is different when it comes to the law for carrying handguns. If you live in Arizona, then you need to know the laws of that specific state. This is why it is also important to find instructors in that state as well.
- Handling the weapon. Weapons handling is very important in getting your permit. You need to learn basics such as how to hold your weapon, weapon safety, and shooting correctly.
- How to carry your weapon. This is often a very important and underlooked aspect. Your weapon needs to be carried in such a way, that you do not expose it. Weapon printing is where your clothes will press against the weapon which will expose the outline of the weapon.
- Getting the right holster. Your weapon needs to be properly holstered and secured. I cannot think of anything worse than your gun firing off or falling out of your holster while walking on the street.
- Getting the right safe. If your gun is not on you, then it needs to be in a safe. If you cannot afford a safe, then do not even bother trying to purchase a gun. Some saves are better than others, but I do recommend getting one that is very close to being burglar proof.
- Maintaining the gun. Keeping the gun clean can decrease the chances of it jamming when you are in difficult situation. You will need to learn how to disassemble your gun in order to clean it.
- Concealed carry simulation. Hopefully, this will never happen to you, but it is important to know what to do in a very dire situation. We as humans are very instinctive and sometimes we do not think with our brains and will rather just react. This is why simulation training is important. This will teach you the best way to react in the fastest way possible if you should ever find yourself in a situation where you need to protect yourself or your loved ones.
These are but just a fraction of mistakes that you can make and this is why concealed carry classes are so important. Below you will find a more in-depth video on what mistakes to avoid.
Steps on how to get your license
It is very important to follow these steps in the right order and keep in mind that some of them might be different depending on the state.
Step 1. Basic requirements that you need.
- You need to be at least 21 years old.
- You also need to be a resident of your home county for at least 30 days to be eligible for that state’s law.
Step 2. Find a qualified CCW instructor
The training usually lasts for about 8 hours. You will learn the laws and also how to handle your weapon. It is also very important that your certificate is not older than 3 years before applying for a license.
If you are an active or reserved member of the military, then you can present your documentation as well. You are also eligible if you have been discharged from the military in the last 6 years.
After you have passed your test and you now have your certificate, you can move on to the next step.
Step 3. Pick up your application form
For this, you need to locate the sheriff’s office in your area in order to get the application form.
Step 4. Get a passport size photo of yourself
The image needs to be in color and must be taken 30 days before your actual application. Your license will be in the form of a card which will be taken with you everywhere you go.
Step 5. Make an appointment at sheriff’s office
In most states, an appointment needs to be made. You will need to take your training certificate, appointment letter and a passport photo with you.
Your criminal background and fingerprints will be taken in order to make sure that you will not be more likely to commit the worse kind of crime.
And that is it, folks. In most cases, there will not be a problem in getting you qualification and permit. Some states and countries will have a different process, but I believe that the process I showed you will be valid for most of them.
Please leave a comment below if you think that I have missed any crucial information regarding this topic and what your personal experience was in your state.