If you are in a hurry, then check out the Signature K9 Modular tactical vest for dogs as it was my top recommended product. It is of excellent quality and allows you to attach mole on the sides and is compatible with a harness.
Whenever you see a dog that pulls at the harness so hard until the saliva boils out of its mouth, you cannot help but look away.
I feel your pain…
For me, this is also very bothersome to see especially if the collar is very thin. Luckily there is a special type of vest that will distribute the force away from the neck and onto the body itself.
So no more “blue-faced” dogs 🙂
In this article, I am going to go over a special kind of vest/gear, that will prove to be very helpful. In this article, I am going to specifically go over the 9 best tactical dog harnesses and gear that will make you and your furry friends outside adventures even more pleasurable.
If you are ex-military, then this is for you.
I am going to go over specifics such as molle, detachable pouches and some other cool features that will turn your dog into a military machine.
It is also essential that these harnesses also have handles. Let me explain. If you are walking your dog and you come across a runner, then there is always the potential of your dog getting excited. This will result in your dog jumping onto the person or worse, attacking the person. This is why most if not all of the harnesses have handles so that you have better control over your dog if you find yourself in this type of situation.
The Top 5 So Far
(Click one of the product below to read its review)
If you don’t know what any of these are, then you can read more about them at the buying guide below.
Tactical Dog Vest & Gear Buying Guide
If you are interested in a tactical dog vest for your pup and you do not know anything about these gear, then it might be a good idea to go through the buying guide.
P.S If you want to read the product reviews instead of the buying guide then click this link.
Is buying guide is set up in such a way so anyone can understand.
I will go through the most important features and also why they were important. Each one will be discussed in depth so that it will be easier for you to make an informed decision.’
Let us start with the type of material.
1. Material quality
The most common type of material that is being used to make these vests are 1000D Nylon. This type of nylon can also be called Cordura Nylon.
The “D” after the “1000” is used to refer to Denier which is the unit of measurement used for the weight and thickness of the yarn. It is important to note that this does not directly indicate the strength but can have an influence on the strength.
If you do not know what Yarn is let me explain. The yarn is the spun thread used for sewing, knitting, and weaving. Most tactical gear that uses material is using some kind of nylon and the 1000D is the stronger version of the 500D.
2. More on the “molle”
A Molle system is a system that the tactical department loves to use for their clothes and gear. The most common area to find the molle system is on the vest or some of the bags.
It can either be in the form of horizontal/vertical straps or a net. The purpose of a molle is to make it easy to attach other items such as bags, magazines, water bottles etc..
In the case of tactical dog vests, the molle is being used to attach the detachable pouches. In this article, I emphasized a lot on molle because it is so important in tactical wear.
Below you will see a short video on how to use the molle system of tactical dog gear.
3. What about the pouches
It is very easy to attach a water bottle or a magazine pouch onto the molle of a vest, but what about the smaller appliances that will not fit on the molle?
This is where the pouches come into play.
These pouches are small bags that can be attached to the molle and then be used to carry some of your smaller belongings that cannot fit on the molle itself.
Some examples of pouches in this review are a:
- Medical pouch. These pouches are used to carry medical supplies such as bandages, foam dressings, medication and also adhesives.
- Waist pouch. This type of pouch can mostly be used to keep your car keys, cell phone, wallet etc. This pouch is also zippable and can contain a large variety of items.
- Tool pouch. You can put almost any type of small tool inside of this pouch. This pouch can carry items such as notepads, pens, multifunctional tools etc.
4. Ventilation is a must
Some of the vests will cover the whole back of the dog, while others will only cover half of that. Ventilation is especially important for those that cover the whole back area of the dog because the dog will have less open surface area to dissipate heat from their bodies.
The ventilation of the vest will come from the webbing under the vest. This webbing along with spacer mesh will create small gaps that will be used for the air to flow through.
5. Price is a huge factor
The vests mentioned in this article will range from just under $30 up to just above $80. This is almost a difference of $50 which might be a large margin for most people.
One thing that I have noticed was that the type of material was not the determining factor in the price because almost all of the vests were made out of 1000D nylon.
The determining factors were the size, the surface area covered and the craftsmanship of these vests. Other factors such as the molle, velcro and detachable pouches also have a role to play regarding the price.
If you are someone that wants the cheapest vest possible, then I would recommend the Outry vest because it was the cheapest.
The most expensive one with very high quality is the OneTigris vest as it has most of the features available.
I personally do not regard this as extremely important, but I know that some people like to have a choice on what color vest to use on their pooch.
There are some vests that only have 1 colors while some can even go up to 8 colors.
7. Compatibility for a harness
This is an often overlooked aspect when choosing a vest for your dog. What is the use of a tactical vest if you cannot attach a harness to it.
All of the vests in this article has to have some sort of ring or buckle that can be attached to a leash. The most common places where you will find a ring or buckle is near the neck and tail area.
I cannot agree with some of the manufacturers that the vests are all 100% waterproof. I agree that nylon does not really suck up water as most other materials do.
Nylon is a good material that will resist water, but this does not mean that the vest is 100% waterproof.
9. Easy to grab handle.
A person will always feel the need to hold your dog when a stranger passes by. There is nothing worse than your dog actually nabbing onto another person that has not actually done anything wrong.
This is where the grab handle comes into play.
When you are in a situation where your dog might come into contact with other dogs or people, then you might want to hold onto the handle just for in case your dog gets frightened and does something that you will regret.
This handle can be located near 2 areas. These areas include the neck area and also the area near the tail.
10. How to choose the correct size
While going through some of the reviews located on Amazon I have realized that the most common complaint was that some of the vests do not fit the animal.
This is important to know the exact size of your dog before buying any type of vest.
The best thing to do is to measure the length of the back of your dog from the “shoulder area” down to where the tail starts. Please do not measure from the head straight to the point of the tail as this area will not be covered by the vest.
Below you will find a video on how to measure your dog:
As you have these measurements, you can now go to the specific vest and make sure that the measurements of the vest correlated to that of your dog.
The adjustable straps that come with the vest also make it easier for you to make sure that your dog has a comfortable fit.
And there you have it.
Hopefully, this buying guide will make it a breeze for you when choosing the right vest for your dog.
#1 Signature K9 Modular (Top Pick)
If you are someone that wants the best quality vest for your dog and are willing to pay the hefty price tag, then the Signature K9 is for you.
What makes this vest so expensive and of high value is that the materials under the vest help to provide better airflow than most of the other vests.
This vest also only comes in the color coyote brown. Unfortunately, this vest does not include any kind of pouches that you can attach to the velcro or the molle.
This vest is also only suitable for medium to larger frame dogs because it only comes in one size.
Some extra features to consider:
- Good quality. This vest is made out of high-quality nylon. This material is very tough and will not tear easily. It also has the ability to dry at a faster rate than cotton and other more softer type materials.
- Molle on both sides. This is very nice for when you want to attach larger type accessories to this vest. Some of the accessories might include water bottles, magazines and also pouches for if you want to add smaller type accessories that are too small to fit on the molle.
- Velcro panels at top and sides. The velcro panels located at the top will allow you attach pouches that are velcro compatible. You can also attach badges to the velcro to give your dog more “character”.
- Great for ventilation. This vest has increased load-rated nylon webbing and spacer mesh underneath the vest that helps with ventilation and some extra padding.
- Compatible with a harness. You will have 2 G hook attachment loops that will give you more flexibility on where you want to put the harness. This is important for when your dog walks on both sides, back and in front of you.
- Adjustable strap. This strap will control how tight the vest will be on your dog which makes it very easy to transition from medium to larger frame dogs.
It is important to note that this vest has the dimensions of 16 x 17 x 0.8 inches which are important for when you have taken your dog’s measurements.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
#2 Lifeunion (Least Expensive)
If you are tight on your budget and you would like to have a less expensive option, then you need to take a look at the Lifeunion tactical dog vest.
This vest is small enough only to cover the beast area of the dog in which it does not cover the whole body. The less area it covers, the more heat the dog will be able to lose which will help it to cool down better.
This vest also comes in 8 colors where some of them will be camo.
The price is also not that bad and is more on the lower end of the price spectrum. The only problem with this vest is that you will not have any features such as molle or pouches.
More features available:
- Made out of good quality. This vest is made out of 1000D Nylon which is a very good quality material that is more tear resistant than normal material.
- Almost 100% waterproof. This material also allows being almost waterproof. This is very helpful for when your pet has taken a dip and you do not want to make a mess in your home.
- Has a leash attachment. It has a heavy-duty metal V-ring near the neck area that you can attach to your leash. What is nice about this is that you will not put any strain on your dog’s neck.
- Has an easy to grab handle. Just in front of the V-ring, you will find a double padded grab handle. This hand is very useful for when you want to have better control over your dog.
- Very adjustable. This vest has 2 straps that can easily be adjusted. The first strap will cross over the chest area of your dog, while the second strap will go under the dog behind their front legs. These straps make it a breeze to adjust the vest to make it more comfortable for your dog.
- There are 2 sizes available. This vest will have the sizes Small and Large which make it a better choice that will fit a larger variety of dogs.
Overall I think this is a great vest that is not only inexpensive but also of very good quality. The only problem is that it does not have any molle or pouches available.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
If you want a tactical dog vest that is very inexpensive while also having some of the features that most of the other vests have, then the Outry tactical vest is for you.
This vest is very inexpensive and includes molle on the sides and velcro on top. They also have 6 different colors and patterns available to choose from.
They also have 4 sizes available which make them very flexible when it comes to choosing the right size. This vest will also cover the whole length of the dog.
The only problem is that this vest does not come with any detachable pouches, but you can also buy them separately if it is really that important for you or your dog.
Let us get started with some of the features:
- Very good quality. This vest is made out of heavy-duty 1000D nylon which is a very durable and tough material. It is not as soft as cotton but makes up for with the toughness. This type of nylon also dries faster than other types of materials.
- Is also breathable. You will find breathable mesh under the vest that will help with ventilation and some softness as well. This is very important because this vest covers the whole length of the dog and therefore must be breathable.
- Has molle on both sides. This is important for when you want to buy detachable pouches at a later stage. You can almost add anything to this molle which will include accessories such as water bottles, pet food sachets and also rifle magazines as well.
- Has velcro on top. This makes it possible to attach velcro compatible pouches to it or you can add any type of badge(s) on it. You can basically add anything that is velcro compatible.
- Can attach a leash. You will find 2 metal leash anchor points near the neck and rear which can be used to attach a leash to the vest. This is important if you do not want to attach the leash directly to your dog’s neck which is often not recommended.
- Nylon grab handles. There will also be 2 grab handles located near the neck and the rear. This is important for when you want to exercise more control over your dog.
- Adjustable straps. There are 2 adjustable straps that will go around the bottom area of your dog. These straps will you to adjust the stiffness of the vest on your dog which will improve the comfortability of your dog.
Almost forgot to mention that this vest has 4 sizes which will include Small(S), Medium(M), Large(L) and Extra Large(XL).
Overall, I think this is a great vest that is not expensive and has most of the features available. The only thing it needs is the detachable pouches but that can always be bought separately at a later stage.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
If you want a very good quality tactical dog vest that has all of the features and you are also willing to pay the hefty price tag then the OneTigris is for you.
This vest looks a lot like the one from Wopet but only of better quality and more expensive.
This vest is more expensive than most of the other vests, but it has more features such as molle, velcro, and also comes with detachable pouches (which most vests do not include).
The vest itself is more or less the same quality than the Signature K9. This vest has 3 available sizes and also 2 colors (Black and Tan) which the Wopet does not have.
This vest also comes in 3 sizes which will include Medium(M), Large(L) and Extra Large(XL).
More features to brag about:
- Good quality material. This vest is made out of 1000D nylon while the webbing is made out of normal nylon. This type of nylon is very water resistant and does not suck up as much water as other types of material. It is also very strong and durable.
- Molle on both sides. This vest has molle on both sides which stretches all the way from the shoulders to the tail area. Molle is like straps attached to the vest that you can use to attach accessories such as dog food or magazines. You can also attach pouches to the molle which is its main function.
- Comes with 3 detachable pouches. These pouches can easily be attached to the sides of the vest where the molle is located. The first pouch is almost like a medic pouch that can be used to put bandages and medical supplies in. It also has a mesh compartment inside. The second pouch is the waist pouch that can be used for your keys, cellphone, wallet etc. The third pouch is a tool pouch which has a flat surface to it. This pouch is mainly for pens, tools and also a notepad. These pouches can also be easily removed when not in use.
- Good for ventilation. This vest also has adjustable webbing just under the vest that will help with ventilation and also some softness. Ventilation is especially important if the weather is hot outside and when the vest covers the whole body of the animal.
- Velcro panel on top. This is especially useful for when you want to attach badges to the vest. Some people like to attach badges onto their dog’s vest to showcase some of the character and personality traits.
- Can also attach a leash. The vest comes with 2 “V” rings on top the neck area and also on top of the tail area. This is especially useful for when you do not want to attach a leash directly to your dog’s neck.
- Has 2 adjustable straps. There will be 2 straps that will go underneath the animal that can be used to tighten or loosen the vest on the animal. This is very important to adjust the vest to provide more comfortability to your dog.
- Has 2 handles. There will be 2 thick nylon handles located near the neck and tail area of the vest which will give you better control over the animal in a very desperate situation.
Overall, I really liked this vest because of all the features that come with it. It is a bit expensive for some people, but the quality easily makes up for the price.
If you are in the military or some sort of K9 special police force and you want to best possible vest for your dog, then this one is for you.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
#5 Excellent Elite Spanker
If you want a tactical vest for your dog that has both velcro and molle but you do not want it to nearly cover the full length of your dog’s back, then the Excellent Elite Spanker vest is for you.
This vest is also not that expensive compared to some of the others and it also contains velcro and molle on both sides of the vest.
This vest comes in 5 colors and patterns and also has 3 sizes which include Medium(M), Large(L) and Extra Large(XL).
It also only stretches to the middle of the back where it does not cover the whole back
Let us not miss the features:
- Highly durable material. The type of material is used is 1000D Nylon which is both lightweight and tough. It will not easily tear and does not suck up that much water when wet which makes it easier to dry out than most other materials. Only the grey color will use the 500D nylon material.
- Molle on both sides. This design has molle on both sides, but it is somewhat limited because of space. The maximum amount of pouches that you carry not be more than 2.
- Velcro on top and sides. Velcro makes it easy to attach achievement badges, ID panels or patch logos to the vest.
- Adjustable straps with quick release buckle and better stability. The adjustable straps will not only be able to adjust the tightness of the vest, but also provides better support. The straps will fuse together to form one unit which will cover the chest area up to the belly.
- Can attach smaller things as well. There will also be a rubber-like lace that will be woven across the molle. Now you can easily attach smaller items to this woven lace.
- Top handle and metallic leash buckle. This will be found in the neck area of the vest. The leash buckle makes it easy to attach a leash to the vest and the top handle will give you better control over the dog when used.
I think this is an excellent product that is cost effective and of good quality. It works great for if you live in a very hot climate and you do not want your dog to suffer from the heat.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
The UltraFun is very similar to the Excellent Elite Spanker and the only 2 differences are that it comes with pouches and is also a bit more expensive.
If you want a compact tactical dog vest that comes with molle, velcro and also pouches, then this vest is for you.
It comes in 4 colors and also 3 sizes which will include Medium(M), Large(L) and Extra Large(XL).
Let’s get started with some of the features:
- Quality material. This vest is made out of 1050 military Nylon fabric which is lightweight and also very durable. This material is perfect to meet the outdoor requirements needed for a long lasting tactical dog vest.
- Molle system on sides. Military type molly is perfect for when you want to attach accessories or other attachable pouches to it. Stuff such as water bottles, pet food packets and also magazines can be attached.
- Has 3 detachable pouches. These 3 pouches are very handy and you will get one pouch specifically designed to hold water bottles, and the other 2 is made to carry tools, pens, notepads, keys and also cell phones.
- Adjustable chest straps. It is actually one long strap that is “X” shaped. The length of the 4 points can also be changed in order to adjust the tightness of the vest around the dog. These 4 straps can also be easily unclipped.
- Has 1 handle. The handle is also made out of Nylon and is located on top the neck area. The used to have better control over your dog.
- There is also a metal “V” ring. This ring is also located in the neck area and can be used to attach a leash to it. There will no longer be a need to attach the leash to a neckband.
- Velcro panel on top. This panel is mainly used to personalize the badges on the vest of your dog.
Overall, I think this is a good quality vest with the full packet of premium features that I tend to look for. It is also not that expensive and only covers half of the back area of your dog.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
#7 OneTigris (Shorter version)
As you already may have noticed, this is not the only OneTigris vest in this review. The only difference is that this specific one does not cover the full length of the dog and only goes up to halfway.
This model is also cheaper than the other OneTigris mentioned in this article. This one also very similar (and also cheaper) to the previous 2 mentioned before coming to this product.
It also comes in 3 colors and 2 sizes which includes Medium(M) and Large(L).
Without further ado let’s start with some of the features:
- Tough and durable material. This vest is made out of 1000D nylon which is a very durable type of material which does not suck up that much water as normal cotton type material. This makes this vest also somewhat waterproof but not completely.
- Has molle on both sides. Molle is very useful for when you want to attach items to the vest. The molle is also used to attach pouches which are used to carry very small and important items.
- Velcro on top and sides. This velcro panel is used to attach badges and ID panels to it. You can also attach velcro compatible pouches to the vest.
- Has 4 quick release buckles. These buckles are used to attach the straps to the vest. The length of the straps can also be adjusted according to how tight you want the vest to fit on your dog. These 4 buckles can also be quickly released in order to take the vest off your dog.
- Has 1 top handle. This handle is very useful for when you want to have more control over your dog. It is also located near the neck area.
- Has 1 metal “V” ring. This ring makes it very useful and also possible to attach the leash to the vest.
If you would like a good quality vest that does not cover the whole body of your dog and you also want to save some money, then I would highly recommend this vest.
It is also the least expensive of this type.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
If the OneTigris is too expensive and the Wopet is just not your (or your dog) style, then you might want to consider the Feliscanis tactical dog vest.
This vest is also the second least expensive of the bunch when it comes those that are both long and has detachable pouches.
This vest comes in 6 colors and it also has 3 sizes which include Medium(M), Large(L) and Extra Large(XL).
Let’s look at some of the features:
- Has 3 different detachable pouches. These pouches will include 1 medical pouch for bandages and other medical supplies, 1 Zipper pouch which is best used for smaller accessories that you do not want to carry yourself such as your keys and phone and then you get 1 Sundries pouch which is best used for pens and tools.
- Tough and rigid. This best is made out of 1000D nylon which is both rigid and very durable. This is the standard material used when it comes to tactical wear.
- Also breathable. Under the vest, you will find a breathable mesh that will help with ventilation. This is ideal for when the temperature is very hot outside.
- Has 2 metallic leash buckles. There will be a buckle located on each end of the vest which will make it possible for the leash to be attached to the vest.
- Has 2 carry handles. You will also find 2 carry handles on both ends of the vest which can be used to have better control over your dog.
- Adjustable straps. Just underneath the vest, there will be 2 adjustable straps. These straps are very useful for tightening the vest so that the dog has optimal comfort without his/her slipping out.
- Has molle. This vest also has molle on both sides. The molle makes it possible to attach pouches and other gear onto the vest.
- Velcro panel on top. The velcro panel is mainly used for decoration purposes. You can easily attach badges and name tags onto the panel to make it more visually appealing.
This is a very good vest worth mentioning. It might be on the expensive side but is not that bad considering what you get.
Other than being expensive, I think this is an excellent vest.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
If you would like to have a very inexpensive vest that has some very good features, then this one is for you.
This is probably one of the least expensive vests that you can find which has detachable pouches. Keep in mind that this vest only comes with 2 pouches instead of 1 like some of the other ones.
It comes in 2 colors which are Black and Khaki and it also only has 2 sizes which are Large(L) and Extra Large(XL). It is also a very long (might be too long) vest.
More on the features:
- Has 2 detachable pouches. The first pouch is more of a medical type pouch in which you can carry bandages capsules, small spray bottles etc. The second pouch is more for casual goods such as a water bottle, notepad, pens etc.
- Smooth and durable material. This vest is made out of 1000D Nylon which is used to make most of the military and tactical gear that you can find. This material is not only strong and durable but also smooth as well.
- Adjustable straps. These straps will be located below the vest which can be used to tighten or loosen the vest on the dog. This is important for if you want to give the dog optimum comfort while wearing this vest.
- Molle on both sides. Molle is mainly used to attach other molle compatible items such as pouches and other accessories. Keep in mind that the vest is somewhat longer than most other vests, so there will be more room for molle on either side.
- Velcro panel on top. This is mainly used for decoration where you can add a name tag or a badge that looks nice. Some of the badges are very nice and can be found on Amazon.
- Comes with 2 handles on both ends. You will find 2 handles, one near the neck area and the other near the tail area. These handles are important for you to want better control over your dog for when a stranger passes by.
- Has 2 attachment points. These attachment points are used for attaching a leash to the vest. This is a much better system than attaching a leash directly onto your dog’s neck.
This is a good an very inexpensive option for when you want a vest that also includes features such as molle, velcro and detachable pouches.
What we liked
What We Didn’t Like
Tactical Dog Vest & Gear Comparison
|Product Name||Av Colors||Sizes|
|1. Signature K9 Modular (Top Pick)||Coyote Brown||Large|
|2. Lifeunion (Least Expensive)||8 Colors||S/L|
|3. Outry||6 Colors||S/M/L/XL|
|4. OneTigris||Black & Tan||M/L/XL|
|5. Excellent Elite Spanker||5 Colors||M/L/XL|
|6. Ultrafun||4 Colors||M/L/XL|
|7. OneTigris (Smaller Version)||3 Colors||M/L|
|8. Feliscanis||6 Colors||M/L/XL|
|9. Hanshengday||Black & Khaki||L/XL|
In this article, I have gone over some of the most common features and I have also chosen 10 of the best tactical dog gear and harnesses that you can find.
I have discussed the molle system, detachable pouches and some of the thing to look for regarding dog sizes etc.
I have also chosen my top pick for the day which is the Signature K9 Modular that had all of the features that were important for me but was also at the lowest price which gave it the best value for money.
Now it is your turn…
Please leave a comment below and tell me what harness/vest was your favorite and why?
Recommended Buying Guides and Articles: